Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Warning: Vent Post

So this year has been really fun, hard, and busy while applying and auditioning for schools. I just have to express my frustration, a frustration shared by all seniors I'm sure. A lot of it is how controversial adults and supposed advisors give you, and the extreme mixed messages that are sent.

Here are just some examples of controversial advice me and my friends were discussing.
It seems you are supposed to....

 do what makes you happy, don't be afraid to chase something your passionate about...and be realistic
 don't go into debt....and take risks
don't let anyone tell you there's something you can't do...and listen to your parents/advisors
don't be stupid and waste your time....this is the only time in your life you can afford to take chances

The third one really bugs me. I wish they didn't contradict.

IT IS LITERALLY NOT POSSIBLE TO DO ALL OF THE ABOVE. And I'm obviously more on the dreamer, naive side but I know that and I'm okay with that. Honestly I think it is one of the worst things when someone tells you to not do something you've wanted to do your whole life. Like I don't understand how people have the nerve to tell you to do something other than what your gut tells you to do.

“He might have been naive, but he didn't care; he said he's rather die with his heart on his sleeve than end up another cynic.”
Colum McCann, Let the Great World Spin

I feel like people think I can never change my mind...like there's no turning back. Gosh maybe I will change my mind, but why can't I try doing what I want to do now...not when it's a good time. Cause the truth is there is no "good time" if you keep waiting for the right time.

I know people mean well and certainliy are just protecting and want what's best for me. Honestly... it's just that the messages couldn't be more mixed!

Well I had more but I deleted it cause I've said enough.  If you would like to hear more rants just let me know...I can tell you more hahaha.  

3 comments: