Sunday, January 20, 2013

Les Miserables

Was absoloutely..stunning. I finally saw it, with Emily and Dana. It was fun seeing it with them I am glad I waited to see it with them! Going into it, I had some expectations because of different things I heard. The most common thing I heard was that Russell Crowe was a bad singer. Because of this, I expected worse than he was! So that was a plus. I was expecting worse than that. It wasn't the most pleasent voice to listen to but really it didn't bother me like a lot of people complain about. I don't think it was so bad it ruined anything. He played his part very well so that's whats important.

Anne Hathaway. DANG. Now for some reason she bugs me just a little, and I kind of even was trying not to like her in this. But she won. I don't even know how she did that well. I was trying to imagine that on the set and she has to be an amazing actress to be able to do everything she did. Every little thing she did was so good. At the beginning of I Dreamed a Dream, I didn't love it, but I think that's because I and everyone has their own idea of how that should sound. But she made it completely not about her voice and it was as if she was straight up saying it..plus her voice was strong enough and pulled her through. Gahh I just can't believe how she cried and sang like that. She better win an award. She proved she can do absoloutely any role now.

I think even musical haters would like this movie. Sometimes you didn't even realize they were singing if that makes sense..cause the acting was so there. Not like you really didn't know they were singing...but I didn't find my self listening for them vocally like I normally do in musicals. The more I think about it the more I love it. I want to go see it again.

LOVED Eponine. She was the real deal.

When Marius sees Cosette in the street scene...I thought that scene was so well done. You feel so bad for Eponine though. On My Own was just spectacularly done. Her voice was just so there, when they filmed that I bet she wasn't "thinking" about singing (loudness, softness, hitting the high notes) AT ALL. She could just act. It was something to see.

Alright. Hugh Jackman. In the first scene I definitely didn't know that was him. I kind of didn't know what to think in the first scene..I was kind of like..okay this is gonna be alright. But he sang "Who Am I" SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOD.

My FAVORITE part he walks into the courhouse in Who Am I and sings

    "Who am I? 24601!"   Not only did he sing it well but that's just so cool that he says his number after all this time.


The thing that stuck out to me that Javert sings was BIG. I was thinking about this line the most. When he is on the bridge he sings,
   "And does he know that granting me my life today, This man has killed me even so?"
MAN that was deep. Javert spent his whole life hunting Jean Valjean down, and JeanValjean sets him free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I realized nothing JeanValjean did was for himself. Even when he stole the bread it was for someone else. The reason he was running from Javert in one part is cause he was protecting little Cosette. He saves Marius in the sewer...just everything.

I would LOVE your comments and to hear what you liked/ didn't like. Favorite actors, favorite songs.


Although I loved that it wasn't recorded in a recording studio, and what they sang in front of the camera is what was picked up. I wanted the music to be louder and bigger and just louder!
Some scenes I kept waiting for the music to be like BAM! But it was kind of quiet. Okay now comment please.

4 comments:

  1. Anne Hathaway bugs me too. Haven't seen the movie, will probably wait until it comes out on video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! It makes me wish I would have seen it with you. I knew you would love it!! It was so.good.

    Anne Hathaway has never been my favorite either, but I agree, she better win a BIG award with how well she did. I was shocked...she did amazing. The same day I saw the movie I downloaded all the songs to my iPod :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha Annie you crack me up! I can't stand Anne Hathaway but like you said, she didn't bug me AS bad in this movie and I was trying to NOT like her but she did great. Tom and I aren't HUGE musical fans but we both really loved the movie. Hugh Jackman did awesome and Tom actually liked Russel Crowe a lot. We both give it a thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your review. I LOVED--double LOVED this movie. I thought everyone was great and have zero complaints--beautiful!

    ReplyDelete